Monday, August 31, 2009

DaVinci



The Hermitage was quite crowded, the galleries were packed, and our guide told us we would be going to see the DaVincis. I feared the worst, a slow line to be packed in an not able to really see the works. I was wrong, magically and wonderfully wrong.
The lines moved smoothly but without pressure, we saw the DaVincis and so many other works clearly and were able to take the photographs we wanted. In some ways every art museum grabs your heart for various reasons, and one is usually seeing some of the works of a favorite artist. In Chicago, I always go out of my way to see the Hopper (NIGHTHAWKS), the Seurat, and as many Picassos as I can find. In the Hermitage, I saw many great masters, but I still find it hard to believe I was two feet from two DaVincis. A wonderful moment.
As we left the Hermitage, we were exhausted and drained after two days in St. Petersburg. We would have only the one night to get some sleep before arriving in Helsinki. The results will be in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.