Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Henge & A Mortise




Here we see two details, photos I had no idea I would be taking. In one, we see the carved protrusion that once was fitted for a depression in a horizontal stone. Mentioned in the prior post, this photo also show the mossy growth that adds depth and character to the look of the giant rocks.
Even more surprising to me was the clearly visible depression, almost like a shallow moat, that is the henge of Stonehenge. Diagrams at the site suggest ways of using the depression to help in the arduous task of standing these giants in place with the rudimentary tools of the time. And of course with manpower.
The awe of the age of Stonehenge, following hard upon the wonder of Windsor, would have been enough for a day's trip. But we were still on the road. We look at Bath in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.