Thursday, August 20, 2009

Steeples of Tallinn




It occurred to me as we began our tour of Tallinn that I was visiting my first SSR. One of the 'overrun countries' of the Baltic, Estonia along with Latvia and Lithuania were the three countries known to me only as the three that were dominated by the Nazis in the 1930s and 1940s and then fell under the domination of the Soviet Union after that. More than a half-century passed before these people earned their freedom. We will have more on that topic in the next post.
Here I must comment on the beauty and the power of the steeples of Tallinn. For a country dominated by the officially-atheist Soviet Union, these churches are remarkably beautiful, kept up well, and welcoming. The Orthodox Church seen here, along with the Lutheran Church, were able to retain their identities and become once again places where Estonians can go in peace to worship God. It all made for a wonderful Thursday visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.