Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mosaic Interiors




Truly awe-inspiring and breathtaking, the many mosaics inside the Church on Spilled Blood would provide beautiful wall hangings or holiday cards which could be seen in every direction. I knew, of course, that the officially-atheist Soviet Union did allow some cathedrals and churches to stand during their seven decades of power, but I hardly expected the powerful beauty that I saw in this edifice.
A lengthy visit to St. Petersburg was ending with a bus ride back to the cruise ship. But for the first time in our ten cruises, we were not weighing anchor to move on. We had an overnight at the dock and another tour the next day, which meant we were going out for the evening, with tickets for a folk dance exhibition. Pictures in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.