Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Remember Color Slides?




For a period of many years, all my photography was in the form of color slides. When I shot my first magazine cover for Illinois Park and Recreation Association in the 1970s, that was the industry standard for color publications and I always appreciated the rich, highly-saturated color.
Of course, if you remember color slides, you remember needing a projector (featuring bright expensive bulbs that had a tendency to go out at the wrong time) and a screen or a plain white wall. Lots of effort to set up and see. In many homes, people went several years without a working projector or any way to look at those slides. My house included. For the past two years, I have been digitizing my old slides, a few hundred at a time, adding the images to my digital archives. When I digitize, I dispose of the old cardboard-mounted slide.
But as a memento to that time, I often make up a digital photo in the form of a color slide. They make nice title slides when viewing the images as a slide show, and for me they are a nod to the past that I really enjoy. Here are the title slides for three days in Arizona: a vanity license plate noted shortly after arrival, a major league pitcher firing a fastball, and the Ernie Banks memento on the walkway outside HoHoKam Park in Mesa. Enjoy the slide show!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.