Saturday, April 11, 2009

First Magazine Cover


A couple of days ago I mentioned a magazine cover I shot long ago. I thought I would dig into my archives and run the cover, from the Illinois Parks & Recreation Association. It was thirty years ago, and I was a serious amateur with a Miranda SLR, two prime lenses and a light meter to govern my exposure as the camera was completely manual. No automatic shutter, aperture, focus, or anything. A great way to learn about photography, by the way.
The previous summer a young staff member had been working with a youth program developing what he called a Ropes Course. Strung high in tall oak trees, with the kids well-strapped in against falling, the course was a challenge and a ton of fun for the day campers. Asked to grab some photos, I answered as I always do: I grabbed Miranda and headed out to the course. Several shots were relatively successful, but this was my favorite. Apparently the favorite of the editors of IPRA Magazine as well. Early on I had noticed that leading lines will draw any eye into the image and make the viewer feel a part of the action.
For a short period of time, I had misplaced my copy of the cover and wanted to have it in my portfolio. With the bright idea of looking on the IPRA web site, I found an archive of issues with most of the 70s and 80s included. Unfortunately, this was at that time one of the few issues that was not pictured. Fortunately, I found my original and now have it digitized.
Have a Happy Easter. I will take a couple of days off and select a new topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.