Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On Avon




For a literature teacher, for a drama teacher, for anyone who loves great writing, a visit to Stratford-On-Avon is more a pilgrimage than a tourist visit. Not much looks surprising, as we have seen photos of Shakespeare's birth home right in the midst of town, and we have seen pictures of the Hathaway house and flower garden out in a more rural area. We have seen it all, we recognize it, and yet we walk there in awe.
Truly our visit to the Globe Theatre two days earlier was more important, more alive, more of the essence of Shakespeare. Every time actors breathe life into Romeo and into Juliet, the spark kindles the flame and Shakespeare lives. Every time I have a ticket to a Shakespeare play I learn something new about the characters, people I know, and myself. But touching base with Stratford was very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.