Sunday, March 15, 2009

Old Engine House





Much of the architecture of Chicago involves high-rise buildings, be they the Monadnock of the 1890s or the Sears Tower of the 1970s. Much of it involves majestic souvenirs of long-ago World Expositions, or iconic downtown merchants, or awesome assortments of vendors in the Merchandise Mart. Thousands of images are collected of all these, and I have my share in my archives. But before we look at a few of my favorite Chicago Architecture photos, I thought a reminder would be in order.

When looking into any city for architecture, remember that the buildings are never built to remain empty. Without people, the buildings are not alive. And every city or town has interesting, photogenic, and important buildings if only we open our eyes to look. In color, in form, in the people who work inside, the old-fashioned Chicago Engine House is as wonderful a bit of architecture as any.


What building would you like to honor in this way? Another post on buildings comes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.