Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cubs Win in Mesa





My first day of my first spring training was fantastic. Perfect weather, a nice seat in the shade, lots of runs leading to a Cub win (even though the games don't count, it is fun to win when you flew four hours to get here). Pre-season baseball is more enjoyable than I pictured it: the field is in perfect shape, the fans are friendly and knowledgeable, and no one appears to be there to be seen or to be drinking too much. Everyone seems to be celebrating the end of a tough season called winter and the start of the following season called baseball.

Alfonso Soriano lead off the Cub first with a shot down the line as he had two hits and two walks. Several Cubs had hits and several pitchers did reasonably well. After the game, the traffic is minimal and a short stop at the souvenir shop will get you to a fairly empty parking lot. Empty of most cars, as you can see, but not empty. I watched this Dad and his son play catch in 2009 and I remembered my son and me in 1979. Baseball. Always and forever, the national pastime and the perfect game.

Next post will be about another ballfield I visited later that night. A surprise located on the Internet, visited in hopes it would even be open on a March night, and ending with (of all things) a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.