Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Different Sort of Architecture





It was cool but quite sunny this morning, and I was out of the house early. Several churches in St. Charles, Illinois, work together on a Habitat For Humanity project and this was the first Saturday I was available to swing a hammer and snap some photographs. It was a rewarding day.

A well-planned floor layout is complete for a cozy but excellent two-story frame home. This morning as I arrived, a few people were busy with the sound of hammering and others were waiting for someone to tell them what to do. The hammering was plenty loud as it should have been, as a crew was literally raising the roof. Leaving the climbing to younger volunteers, I grabbed the camera and got a different view of architecture altogether. Friendly and warm, the entire crew welcomed the new volunteers and before long I knew it was time to put the Nikon away and crack out the Craftsman.

A few hours later, a wall had been built, placed, and anchored to divide the Great Room from the Kitchen; and a guest closet had been studded out, located, and nailed into place. I have no photographs of the event as the hammer and the camera do not mesh well at any given time. But of course I have the memories of the wall building -- and no doubt tomorrow I will have the soreness of the muscles that had not hammered for some time. The ache will surely "Hurt So Good."

Back to larger buildings -- though perhaps NOT more significant ones -- in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.