Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fergie & Friends For Charity




It was a perfect night for a baseball game, any kind of a baseball game. But the event that had convinced me to head out to Arizona, the Fergie & Friends Annual All-Star Game, was an event to remember. Great music as mentioned in the previous post, lots of nice people to talk to. But the real highlight was the 30 minutes we were allowed down on the field to "Meet and Greet" the All-Stars and Old-Timers. All the former ballplayers were friendly, shaking hands and having pictures taken one after another. Fergie Jenkins, certainly the most successful Cub pitcher of my lifetime with six straight 20-win seasons, was affable and organized. Billy Williams, seen with me in the other photo, spent the entire time smiling and laughing with people. That half-hour, by the way, stretched out to me being on the field for two and a half hours, talking baseball, listening to music, taking pictures, and just loving life and baseball.
Besides Jenkins and Williams, we met Ron Santo, Jody Davis, Bob Dernier, Glenn Beckert, Randy Hundley, Steve Trout and Jay Johnstone among other former Cubs. We also met several Hall-of-Famers including Harmon Killebrew, Bob Feller, and Rollie Fingers. It was a wonderful night all the way around.
My friend Terry, a Mesa-area resident I had just met, spent some time taking photos of each other with the ballplayers and just on the field. "This is baseball heaven," he said, ninety minutes after the fun had started. What else could I answer? "Amen."
The next post will feature another hall of fame ballplayer, but one who played with a much larger ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.