Monday, June 1, 2009

Woodpeckers: Not Woody



One of my favorite cartoons growing up, partly for personal reasons, was Woody Woodpecker. How could such a cartoon have a 'personal' reason? My paternal grandfather, Ralph Beato Sr., was a wonderful mimic of Walter Lantz, Woody's cartoonist and voice, doing his patented "ha-ha-ha-HA-ha" laugh. Since Grandpop lived in the Philadelphia area and I am a Chicagoan, we saw each other only on vacations. The sound of the laughter still echoes.
Real woodpeckers do not laugh that way. As expected. But they are interesting and beautiful, and since they tend to perch for a bit on a given tree, they almost seem to pose for us. Smile pretty, Little Woody!
More Willowbrook Wildlife birding photos in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.