Friday, June 5, 2009

The New Invaders




'Twas a cold evening for the Taste of Glen Ellyn, a mid-May Saturday for which the weatherman was warning possible freezing temperatures. I had wanted to shoot some rock and roll and had planned the trip, but after I arrived I wondered if I had made the right decision. Waiting for the New Invaders to begin their set after 8:00 PM, with the temperature dropping enough that vocalist Dave Huizenga mentioned the weather in his opening, we needed some heat. Stubborn enough to wait, I hoped for the best.
And I got it. The New Invaders play music of the '60s, lots of British Invasion, spirited tunes with outstanding guitar licks and powerful rhythm. Huizenga, who also plays keyboards and guitar, is the primary singer and focal point of the band. Personable, great at interacting with the crowd, he got the show going early and kept it moving throughout the concert. Music of the Kinks, the Hollies, and even the Blues Magoos, the New Invaders provided the heat and no one left to get out of the cold.
The New Invaders also features lots of girl group songs. Obviously, there must be another singer in the works, which will become evident in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.