Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Back to Banding



Only an hour or so from my first opportunity to see a bird, held in the hand for banding as well as identification and examination, I was back at the table as the volunteer slipped another bird out of its sack. A woodpecker, much like some of the specimens I had seen in the forest moments later. As he fanned the wings, I was proud of myself as I saw the feather spread. Do you see what I saw?
Yes, this too is a second year bird. The deeper brown of the majority of the feathers is this year's mark, while the lighter patch further up the wing is the remnant of the feathers of 2008. Noticing and remembering a lesson learned is always a good feeling. But perhaps not as good as the feeling that your education is quickly advancing to new ground. As the volunteer turned his wrist and the bird over, my education was about to advance, all right. Exponentially.
Next post will take your knowledge to a new level as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.