Monday, April 5, 2010

Ready to Play . . . Centerfield



In a previous century I played quite a lot of centerfield, and I managed to collect these images in that location at Fergie & Friends. One is a father with his son, tossing a ball and running in the grass, looking a lot like Eric & I would have looked in the early '70s. The other was Rick Miller, for Red Sox and Angel, whom I had spoken to at length before the game, who was the subject of a story earlier in the day, and who is one of the subjects of a poem written later that night. I had a bit of fun turning the image into what appears to be the sort of picture I would have taken back in the '70s -- a color slide.
The Rick Miller story is a highlight of the trip for me. For details, just read the poem:

FUNGO STORY TOLD TWICE

Watching a minor league Cub coach hit fungo, a long slim bat in his left hand,
A ball tossed in the air by his right hand which then grabs the bat and hits a grounder
One and then another and another for the purpose of practice and instruction.
We talk about him, my new acquaintance Jack and I, about the lost art of fungo as
I tell him at length about Jimmie Reese, the greatest fungo-hitting coach of all time,
Recalling a time when I saw Reese, then 77, working Angel center fielder Rick Miller,
Hitting balls to the left and the right nearly off the wall unless Miller caught them.
Miller would win a Gold Glove that summer after that workout, skilled at both ends.
Recalling that Reese was able to pitch batting practice by fungo batting strikes.
Mentioning that Reese had been roommate to Babe Ruth’s suitcase in the Twenties.
Recalling that Reese worked for the Angels until death retired him at 92.

Later at a different ball park, I told much of the same story to Rick Miller, now 61,
Retired and playing as much golf as possible, pleased that others remember Reese.
The story was the same this time but with the difference that Miller helped tell it,
Asking me if I knew that Jimmie Reese had been able to fungo-pitch BP.
Thanks for the help and for listening, Rick, you now have a bigger role in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.