Friday, April 23, 2010

From the Brown Line



From 1951 until 1956 I lived on Kenmore Avenue exactly two miles (16 blocks) south of Wrigley Field. I was enrolled in kindergarten through fourth grade at St. Vincent's Grade School, which no longer exists. The related church, though, is still a major cathedral on the north side of Chicago, and the old school building was long ago turned into a drama department building for the related university. Which University? Well, St. Vincent's name was St. Vincent DePaul.
If we walked a half-block south on Kenmore and turned left on Armitage, we were two short blocks away from the el station, on what was then called the Ravenswood Line. The station is still Armitage, of course, but Ravenswood is now the Brown Line.
I love to check the sights when the Brown Line runs through the old neighborhood, and here we see St. Vincent's and the sign on the el stop, the last shots of the day I spent on the rooftops. Cubs Win!

P.S.: Happy Shakespeare's Birthday to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.