Thursday, August 12, 2010

World War II Memorial


Another memorial that was not here 22 years ago for our previous visit was one we certainly looked forward to. The World War II Memorial is in the middle of the Mall, directly west of the Washington Monument. A previous post showed the Memorial from the observation window atop the Washington Monument.
My father was in the Navy during WWII and my father-in-law, who passed away before I had the pleasure of meeting him, was in the Army. Both served in the Pacific Theater and neither one came home to talk much about the experience. They both were proud to serve and then anxious to begin their lives as husbands and parents. The Memorial brought a wonderful feeling to my heart. I always enjoy thinking about my dad, who passed away too early over 19 years ago. But here, for the first time, I felt my dad and my father-in-law have this powerful connection. I thought deeply that afternoon about Robert Faust and Ralph Beato, strangers in life and together as veterans, parents, grandfathers and great-grandfathers. That was all very much alive for me at the World War II Memorial.
Thanks so much for your service, dad and dad. We love you and honor you and will make certain that your great-grandchildren know what you did for us and for them.
That afternoon, I called my mother, just to visit. Since I was not able to call Robert and Ralph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.