Thursday, August 26, 2010

Teddy Roosevelt Island


A hidden treasure, I think, is Teddy Roosevelt Island right out in the Potomac between Washington and Arlington. Drive over the bridge and head north, slowly, until the small parking lot appears, park the car and walk across the foot bridge to the island.
TR was well-known for his respect for the environment, and a strong statue declaims his love for nature in a clearing which feels far from downtown Washington. Unfortunately, the memorial is in significant disrepair, with fountain shut down and reflecting pools left empty, only a remnant of a rainstorm remaining. I would like to hope that my next trip to DC will find TR Island spruced up and again a reminder of the value of the environment and the natural beauty of the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.