Thursday, November 26, 2009

THANKFUL



Today I am thankful for so many things. Health, of course, for myself and my family and my friends. The joy of the holiday season. A wonderful church to be a contributing member of. But also for the freedoms that so many Americans seem to take for granted. I look back today in my collection of signs and find these two, collected on my only trip to Europe (so far), at Sachsenhausen, the German concentration camp at Oranienburg, near Berlin.
For those not versed in German, the sign nestled in the barbed wire warns you that entering this area will get you shot. The iron sign built into the gate, of course, suggests that Work Makes Freedom, the German right-wing slogan to justify all sorts of torture and murder.
Thank you, Lord, for the freedoms we cherish and sometimes fail to treasure. Guide us always in the ways to promote true American freedom. Let us always learn from the mistakes of the past and work toward the best of what we believe in. YES, WE CAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.