Friday, November 20, 2009

Snapping Turtle


At Meacham Grove, a levee runs north and south between the large pond and the large grassy march area. A month ago, after climbing a tall hill to the south (where I captured one of the images in yesterday's post), I came down to walk the levee and look at the overflow dam in the middle of it. As I walked, I came across this fellow, his shell about 18-20" in circumference and weighing . . . I have no idea how much. A fisherman and his son were standing near him and at one time put the feel of a fishing pole in front of his mouth. It was exciting and interested to see a snapper snap, since it was not me he was snapping at!
The fisherman was telling his son that he thinks the turtle had spent days climbing the levee -- fifteen feet, perhaps -- to cross the path and descend to the mud of the march for the winter. What an impressive effort.
One more post on fall color in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.