Saturday, September 26, 2009

Revolutionary War in Wheaton




Over the years I had read about re-enactments, events where a wide range of people gathered together to re-enact battles and skirmishes from historical war periods. Many times I thought I should attend one, but until recently I never had done so. When a friend from Church turned out to be a Coldstream Guard in a Brigade of Guards at an event in the area, I grabbed the camera and went to Cantigny Park in Wheaton.
Rather than trying to re-create a specific battle in history, the group re-created the style and effect of the skirmishes and battles of the times. While the Brigade of Guards seen here is clearly a "red coat" group, many colors of uniform were represented and many details of the battle strategies. It was a day of history and of pageantry and of action. Noise, lots of noise, when the cannon fired. An interesting event that I will attend again.
Here we see the guards on patrol and prepared to fire. More views of the battle at Cantigny in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.