Friday, February 20, 2009

Simpler Restoration


Excited with the success of restoring my grandmother's wonderful portrait, I turned to some other family photos that needed work, though far less-drastic work. This portrait, a nice triangle with my smiling face at the pivot, shows my Mother and Father back in the 1940s.
This image was in pretty good shape. Two corners were folded and damaged, but repairing corners is about as easy as anything in photo restoration. General dust, noise, and so forth is also pretty simple, and this one did not have too much. I worked around the edges, closing in on my face and Dad's coat and tie. One ugly crease went from Dad's collar, across the tie and the lapel of the jacket, and through my right cheek. A small portion was missing. Only about 25 minutes later, my cheek was healed and my young parents look vibrant. This is an uplifting work concept: work that yields immediate satisfaction is certainly work worth doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.