Thursday, February 19, 2009

Restoration as a Labor of Love



A true baby boomer born in late 1946, I have wonderful memories of my grandmother, the mother of my mother. Mom went back to work as a personal shopper at the fabled Marshall Field's and I spent all day with my Grandma. It has always seemed to me that she cared about me more than she cared about anyone (which may not be true but is a wonderful impression to have!) She passed away over 29 years ago and I still think of her lovingly and kindly just about every day.
When I came across the heirloom portrait, completely torn in half and carefully saved as it was, I knew that if I ever got confident in Photoshop, I would make a project out of restoring that photograph. It showed a woman I had never met, of course, young and slim and looking forward to the bulk of her life. Beautiful? Of course, I could never see anything other than beauty. And I wanted to have a complete portrait of her to cherish and to pass on to my children and grandchildren.
I put no time clock on the project. I spent as much time as I needed. And I was pleased to send complete matte-finish portraits to my son and my daughter and to my brother and my sister. I know that somehow, in heaven, my dear Grandma Angela has always known my love and respect for her. And now you know it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.