Monday, January 19, 2009

Backtrack to Anchorage

Image seen all over Anchorage, July 2008




Thinking back on the first few posts, I realize I was in such a hurry to depict Mt. McKinley that I skipped over our day in Anchorage. A bit rain-spattered, the city was so attractive and the people were so friendly that I really could have started here. So today we will cover the only true city in the huge state, population just over a quarter-million. And a wonderful place for an Alaskan adventure to begin.


Imagine a colorful skyline, lots of buildings whose windows act as mirrors to one another, and an in-city river lined with fishermen pulling salmon out of the water one after another. Imagine, too, a wonderful, thought-provoking museum on the history of the state, from Seward to the pipeline. And imagine two adjoining lakes, attached with canals, on which boats are not allowed. Of course boats cannot clog up the lakes -- they form an airport for the many Alaskan private planes.


A great place to visit and I have it in mind that I would actually like to visit again -- in the winter. That might be one of the unfulfilled list items, only time will tell. But last week it was more than 50 degrees warmer in Anchorage than it was in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.