Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mt. McKinley in the Sun


Last night I started this blog on my laptop. Only a few hundred pix are on that, so now at the PC I can post my first photograph. Personally, my grandchildren would be my first choice and I could upload any of my past four or five screensavers, but that is personal. I will keep them for myself and work on more general photography. Having made that determination, the choice was really quite simple even though I have more than 26,000 images in my Archives.


Prior to 2008, I had never ventured more than two time zones away from Chicago. Halifax to the east and Las Vegas to the west were my outer limits. To the south, I would think St. Martin was furthest and Halifx would probably qualify for the north border as well. And then we went to Alaska for eleven days of adventure, beauty, and awe for the wonder of nature.


When we saw Mt. McKinley looking like a diamond growing out of the ground, I got several images I like. When we found out later that weather had hid the mountain from tourist eyes for over three weeks, I knew we had our adventure off to a great start. Selected images from Alaska will probably follow in the coming weeks.
After all, this summer will involve travel a lot further from Chicago: London, Paris, Copenhagen, Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, St. Peresburg, Hamburg. No telling how many images I will have by the first of August!