Monday, May 17, 2010

Remembering BHS & JFK



In the previous post we visited my alma mater, Barrington High School, and saw the front steps. The older front steps had a visitor in fall, 1960, when Sen. John Kennedy gave a brief speech during his campaign for President. I was a freshman and I had gotten a spot to stand just 10-12 feet from the future President. His motorcade then left the school and actually drove right by my house, where Mom saw him from our yard. A nice memory not seen here.
As I walked through the highly-rearranged academic area, no rooms were open, of course. But I gravitated toward the room where I had senior math, 6th period, every day. I was good in math, but I never ever liked it. And on the Friday I remember, I put my head on my desk and stopped all student function along with every one of my classmates. It was November of my senior year, 1963, and the President had been assassinated. Through the classroom door window, I could see through to the courtyard beyond. I could see and I could remember, a powerful memory, but not a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.