Friday, March 26, 2010

Standin' on the Corner



An outstanding example of outdoor, public art is entitled GOD BLESS AMERICA by J. Steward Johnson, dated to 2005. For the past couple of years, this statue, inspired by Grant Wood's AMERICAN GOTHIC, has stood outside Tribune Tower on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Its time expired, the work was packed up and gone without a word about its destination.
Without a word, that is, until a week before I headed out to spring training. It was located by Phil Velasquez, a TRIBUNE photographer, about a mile south of HoHoKam Park. Looking at the suitcase with its travel labels as seen in the full length photo, I realized that the travels of the artwork demanded a response. My photo of the suitcase has magically gained the two missing labels that I know of!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think. It is exciting to think that some of my photography might be enjoyed by others.